So I have felt a little off lately...maybe it's the weather, maybe it's the end of summer, who knows. But I was reading in 3 Nephi 14 today and came across exactly what I needed to hear.
This is where the Lord has come to visit the Americas after his crucifixion in Jerusalem. He is giving instruction about the way to live our lives so that we are in accordance with the Father. He says, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven."
I have forgotten to serve. No wonder I am feeling off-base and out of touch! I have not been a doer. I have left my foundation and gone wandering down the beach. I am the foolish man right now. I feel better already for I know that I must be a doer and not just a hearer. It is wonderful to go to church and read my scriptures and cry, "Lord, Lord" every night. But where is my heart? Am I seeking His will? Do I, like the repentant Lamanites, fear to sin?
Life's purpose is to test what we really believe, what we really care about. What message am I sending to my Brother - who shed his own blood for me - when I forget him? Would I forget if it was my earthly brother that died saving me? I don't think I would. Action is required if we are to be in the Way. If I want to follow Him and have Him near when I have hard times, I have to be near Him when times are good. I have to remember what makes me happy and brings the light out of darkness. The best way for me to do this is to serve, because then I am only thinking of someone else. President Thomas S. Monson said, "There is no road to the heart of God that does not lead through the heart of man."
Move onward and upward!
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment